Parental Responsibilities for Parents Paying and Receiving Child Support

Small Child standing at table looking at brochuresIt’s your support order; we encourage you to be an active participant!

  • Inform the Office of Child Support Services (OCSS) of any changes in your or the other party’s address, phone number, employment status, etc.
  • When OCSS requests documents, submit them by the stated deadline.
  • Provide OCSS with all copies of court and administrative orders which may affect your support order, including but not limited to changes in custody or support order amount.
  • Keep all records pertaining to your support order. Additional copies of your court orders may cost money to obtain.
  • Enroll the child in health insurance plan if you are ordered to provide medical coverage for the child by the court or OCSS.
  • Parties should report any secondary employment to avoid additional withholding if unnecessary.
  • Inform OCSS of any reason why an order should terminate, including but not limited to:

    • Emancipation of the child.
    • Death of child or parent paying support.
    • Child on order is placed in the custody of Ohio Department of Youth Services or Division of Children and Family Services.

  • Provide OCSS with supporting documents to complete the emancipation process such as:

    • Copy of high school diploma or withdrawal letter from school when the child reaches age 18.
    • Proof of enlistment in the armed forces
    • Court orders showing change in legal custody or adoption of the child.
    • Certificate showing marriage of the child.

  • Parents receiving support payments may be required to repay an overpayment after the support order has terminated. You are not entitled to any funds you received that exceed your court/administrative order.
  • Contact OCSS to report any problems or issues with your support case. This could include if arrears paid in full, or if spousal support obligation should end.

Become educated about your support order. You are ultimately accountable for your order. Know your rights and responsibilities and exercise them.

Office of Child Support Services
1640 Superior Avenue
Cleveland OH 44114

Phone: 216-443-5100
Fax: 216-515-8484